Our history

Bakonyjákó is a village established on a plateau located in the western part of North-Bakony hills, southeast from Pápa, it has more than 700 residents. The name derives from the Ják, Jákob (Jacob) forename. This is a rich archeological occurrence, artifacts were found even from the stone age and from the Roman and the Arpad-period.
The first written sources mention the Hymfi tenure which belonged to the Castle of Döbrente in 1351. This was a hunter-settlement called as “Jákó's croft”. Between 1545 and 1750 this territory completely depopulated. In 1751 the family Vajda decided to resettle the area; German-speaking cotters moved here, who engaged in wood logging, pig- and sheep-farming. The settlers arrived from Switzerland and Bohemia, and later on Hungarian families started to settle down gradually. The population reached 1000 persons in 1806.

During the first decades of the 20th century first the emigration to America, later in 1940 to emigration to Germany decreased the number of inhabitants.